The Fabulous Familiar

Taking the ordinary and making it extraordinary...

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mother Knows Best



I just came across an article on MSNBC.com that both frightened me and brought me incredible joy.

Matchmaking mom Geri Brin has been on the lookout for a perfect match for her son. While most mothers may nag and suggest countless women, Brin took it a step further. Quite a few steps further to be exact.

She launched her own web site, faboverfifty.com, to advertise her son's bachelor status and to allow other mothers to do the same. There is now a link that allows mothers to post particulars about their sons, daughters, grandkids, nieces and nephews in hopes of finding a true love connection for them.

The web site has been an unbelievable hit and has even been featured on shows like "The Today Show."

I can't quite decide if the notion of my parents or grandparents doing this terrifies me or sounds like a fun social experiment. I always get a kick out of who they notice in a crowd and who they comment "is a nice boy." Usually, poor mother is deflated after I say, "Well, nice boy has continually stalked me since 6th grade. He picks his boogers in class and speaks in abstract thoughts."

She usually hangs her head slightly and says, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know."

Pawpaw Reely continually sent me campus mail, signing off as a boy he thought would complete me. Let's just say that after 5 minutes of conversation, I could quickly begin to hear blades of grass move.

Because I am so close to my family, it has been a struggle to find someone who clicks with them. I am realizing, however, that no human being can meet every facet of my family's needs and that all they really care about is that I am happy and treated right.

Contrary to previous beliefs, I am realizing I can't date a carbon copy of my relatives. That is, unless there is some military doctor who loves to read constantly while simultaneously working out, downing protein shakes and watching TBS comedy marathons.

What matters is that he clicks with me. If the right spirit is there, he will be open to learning and appreciating the quirks that make us the Reely crew. Find someone that can be added to the mix, not molded to fit the gelatin shape of familial bliss.

Brin's idea is humorous and could even be effective, but I can also see how it could be detrimental. Singles just have to be careful to date who they want, not what they feel is expected for them.

That's a lesson I am learning as I go along; and until the man listed above comes along, I just need to make sure he's the perfect fit for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home