The Fabulous Familiar

Taking the ordinary and making it extraordinary...

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

It's Raining Joy (Hallelujah!)



“Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain."

Most people from around here have realized that we haven't received a good rain in a while. I've heard from a number of people how this was affecting their land, their lawn and the flowers that highlight their gardens.

I was standing outside last night keeping a friend company as people were working on her car, and the clouds began to darken and rain began to pour from the sky. It was like someone had been holding a lever, blocking the passageway of our rain and had suddenly released it all at once.

To be honest, I usually hate rain. It's so inconvenient; I have never found an adequate umbrella and it just puts me in a dreary mood. All this without even considering what it does to my hair. If Carrot Top stuck his finger in an electrical outlet, he would mimic me on a rainy, humid day.

Still, something came over me last night. My friend, always the adventurer, suggested we go run out in the rain. For a second, I thought, 'I am nice and dry under this awning and I would really like to remain that way.'

But something about this particular rainstorm called to me. It was like a heart celebration. I swelled with happiness and inched my way out into the downpour. Immediately, my cares were washed away as the rain drops engulfed me in their steady rhythm. I began to laugh.

I extended my arms to their full length, looked up at the sky and began to twirl. Cars were driving by, probably questioning my sanity, but I didn't even care. The twirling soon became dancing and before I knew it, I was leaping into puddles and leaping across the yard, giggling like a small child who saw her crush on the playground.

My friend, coming to visit, drove by with her SUV and waves of water splashed us in the face. Seeing our pure glee, she drove back by a few times, humoring us with more tidal waves.

Psalms 147:7-8 tells us to, "Sing unto the LORD with thanksgiving; sing praise upon the harp unto our God: Who covers the heaven with clouds, who prepares rain for the earth, who makes grass to grow upon the mountains."

I don't usually just open myself up to that kind of praise; I feel self-conscious; I feel childish. But after I submitted myself to uninhibited thanksgiving, I became incredibly elated myself.

This isn't to say that every time there is rain, I will stop what I am doing and dance; but it is a lifestyle I want to adopt in my spirit. I want to figuratively look up to the sky, open my arms wide and let the showers of blessing fall upon me.

Take the time to enjoy a good rain someday. Dance in it. Sing in it. Whatever makes your heart fill up with joy. I guarantee you there will never be a drought in the soul that stores the rain.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cole said...

What a great post, Ashton. I generally find the rain inconvenient and dreary as well but I too have occasionally tossed aside my rain-hating ways and enjoyed the pure joy that comes from running/dancing in the rain like a little kid.

July 19, 2010 at 9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home