The Fabulous Familiar

Taking the ordinary and making it extraordinary...

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Letter to Me: The Introduction



I started back to TC Magazine on Monday, following a long Christmas break from the office. Today, however, was our brainstorming day-- in which we attempt to jump into the teenage mind and talk about what to put in the upcoming issue.

At 23, I realize that I am still a young whipper-snapper in the eyes of most, but I feel like I am so out of touch with the teenage world. I feel like I am a cool parent that is trying to stay hip at these meetings:

"What about that Hilary Duff girl? Oh wait, she's not in Lizzie McGuire anymore. That was like 6 years ago."

"He's on the Disney Channel, right? Young girls think he's cute. I mean, he's got a baby face and looks like he could be my younger brother..."

Though I had some brief, shining moments during that awkward adolescent stage, I have probably tried to block out a lot of those memories-- thus the writer's block when I try to transport myself back to junior high and high school.

Maybe it's because instead of telling them "The Top 5 Ways To Do Your Hair for Prom," I want to just gather them up in one big, enormous group and just embrace them in a big bear hug. I want to laugh with them and cry with them and tell them that it's all going to be OK.

I want to assure them that, contrary to popular belief, high school is not the highlight of your life. In fact, it doesn't even come close.


I know that my mom tried to explain this concept to me on numerous occasions as a teenager, but I was convinced that she just didn't understand me. Every event that happened within the walls of Paragould Junior High School were going to make or break the rest of my life.

Many of you have probably heard the Brad Paisley song, "Letter to Me." I get teary almost every time I hear it because he is so right. He is basically writing a letter to himself at 17, and sharing with the younger version of Brad that things are going to be fine:

"You've got so much up ahead/You'll make new friends/You should see your kids and wife/And I'd end up saying have no fear/These are nowhere near the best years of your life."


Today got me thinking: If I could write a letter to the younger Ashton, what would I say? Stay tuned for the answer...

1 Comments:

Blogger Ronda said...

Can't wait!!

January 14, 2010 at 7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home